Thursday, August 12, 2010

To the Tablelands

The 4 of us took off on a little adventure yesterday. We rented a car (it's very nice to be here with someone who has been driving on the "wrong" side of the road for a few months) and mapped out a route (thanks to Laurie) towards Atherton and the Tablelands. It's a very volcanic area (well, not active or anything) so we were looking forward to craters and peaks. In order to get there, we took Gilly's highway which wound up and around the mountain. Since I wasn't driving, it was easy to take in the beautiful scenery. I also thought how nice it would be to ride my bike up it. We pulled off the road a couple of times for photo opportunities and the first place we stopped I noticed a trail going to higher ground. I was about to go up it but then I remembered I was in Australia and feared for my life because of the number of deadly snakes that were probably lurking in the high grass. A snake bite would have ruined my day. At the next place we stopped, we saw a huge lizard (a goanna). That confirmed my fears about hiking anywhere. Amy and Laurie were getting too close for my comfort and Roberta reminded them that we were not in a zoo. If the animal got agitated and came toward us, we were supposed to duck down because it would climb the highest thing in sight. Thankfully we did not have to take such measures.

We stopped at Lake Barrine on our way to Halloran's Hill (a lookout point) and then on to see the crater and waterfalls at Mt Hypipamee national park. It was great to drive around and see some things other than a city. On our way back, we pulled off the side of the road before we entered the area of light pollution so we could see some stars. Roberta pointed out the Southern Cross and the Milky Way was very visible.

Overall, it was a splendid day.

No comments:

Post a Comment